Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Saddened

What makes you sad? What puts a burden on your heart? What causes you to become discouraged?

I'm sure the answer to this may be different for each one of us.
One thing that causes me much sadness is 'Facebook'. While I know it's lovely to be able to connect there with friends and family and share pictures from our holidays etc;  still  the many negative things I see there cause me to wonder if the good out weighs the bad?

The other day I saw a post from the Duggar family pop up, where one of their children had celebrated a birthday. There was a picture taken of the birthday girl standing in a group with some of her friends.
 I suppose its their choice that they share these images with the world and then open themselves to whatever people will do by way of 'comments'. If anything one would think people might click 'like', or write happy birthday - smiley etc. You would think...and yes people did do and say those things, but what they also did and said was distressing. People took it upon themselves to critique the clothing that the girls were wearing. The girls were dressed nicely/modestly and looked happy...It was a special day. However people criticized the style of dresses, saying they looked frumpy etc etc and picked on one friend of the Duggar family in particular, saying she looked like she was wearing her grand mothers dress...and on and on it went.

After reading through some of the comments, I felt thoroughly disillusioned and asked myself these questions:
1. Why are these people following the Duggars? Do they share the same values? Are they christian? 2. What makes them feel entitled to say anything of this nature at all?  Are they aware that their words are cruel and mean spirited?

and I reflected on these thoughts:

1. Would people say those comments to the girls face to face?
2. Does social media provide a venue to promote meanness and bullying?

Once this type of behavior was relegated to our childhood schoolyard years..or was it? It still apparently happens on social media and in work places, so it can't be just considered 'childish' behaviour.

Time and time again on Facebook I witness people being very thoughtless and hurtful with their words and posts. Just spewing out horrible things, without thought that they will hurt others. I see people putting others down, discussing personal matters, telling whole arguments publicly, where one tells there side of the story, but the others persons side is never heard.
I wonder why do people even do this? Is it to get attention? sympathy?  to make themselves look good? I just don't understand it.

When I see this kind of behavior among those that don't know the Lord, I can sort of accept it easier, because I know they are not striving to live a holy life, and are not aware of God's goodness and what He requires of believers.

When I see it going on with people who profess to know the Lord and supposedly walk with Him, I am saddened greatly.
1. It casts believers in a poor light. Where is the moral integrity? Can they be trusted?,  if they would publicly malign someone so easily?
2. What does it do to someones witness?  People scoff at Christians as it is..and say things like.."Ha..look what she's doing, saying etc and she calls herself a christian". (or Him)

I have brought all these thoughts and concerns to God in prayer and was reminded of these scriptures from His word.

Matthew 12:36
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,

and...

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves (NIV)

My daughter keeps telling me that I am too sensitive, and while I don't deny this (It's how God has made me). I do feel very strongly about what I have written here. Also, it is not judging. What I am doing is simply naming something that is real and going on constantly.

If this speaks to you?as it has caused me to examine my own heart, then I pray you will think about what you say, write, share publicly in a deeper way and how it will affect others. Let's strive to encourage and support one another, celebrate alongside others and not tear down.

Blessings to anyone who reads this and comment if you feel to. ~ Linda

.




3 comments:

  1. Your words and thoughts mirror my own thoughts and sadness at seeing the unkindness and inappropriate negative over-sharing that happens on social media sometimes. Thank you for this. May I be a positive and Jesus-reflecting light in my online circles, not a degrading or negative hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucinda. I too pray I can be a positive influence when online. I thank you too, for taking the time to comment, it blessed my heart to know someone else out there hurts over similar things. Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, bang on, especially the bit about people airing their personal issues and having personal arguments in public, its worse than wearing your pyjamas and bath robe to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...