Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Quitting Sugar


We're having extremely horrid humid weather at the moment...the sort of clammy heat that causes sweat to run down your back..gross I know. Today my daughter and I were lamenting about our lack of air conditioning...and we both decided that we don't care how much extra it would cost in power bills, we're just so desperate to be cool.
January normally sees me preserving food like a crazy woman, but this year it's just too jolly hot and so I'm just enjoying the gardens bounty fresh and giving any extra away. Last year I think I canned about 50 jars of relish or various kinds, and we did get through it. But this year I think I'm only going to bottle a few jars of plums, make some Tomato relish later in the season and stew any extra tomatoes for freezing,  to use these in soups and casseroles.
~ ~ ~

Other News (ground breaking) : I've jumped off the white sugar wagon !!!. yikes...For those who don't really know me, this may not be a surprise, but for anyone who does, they will know a large part of this blog has comprised baking recipes, sweet sugary decadent things. So I thought I better let you know that things will look a little different around here from now on..still delicious, but healthier :)

And why? The quick answer: it's time for a change. Over the last few years I've added on a few pounds here and there and I just don't like it. Most of my life I've been reasonably slim (apart from during and after pregnancies. I've prayed many many times over the last year asking God to help me to stick to something and strengthen my resolve to get back into exercising. And He is helping me. I have started walking again (treadmill) and I've also started the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle eating plan, after much loving encouragement from my sweet daughter.

For anyone who doesn't know what Trim Healthy Mama is, its basically a low carb (not no carb), low glycemic style of eating.  I initially found it a bit confusing. I looked at the book last year and it all seemed too different and i didn't have the motivation or the head space to truly give it a chance. This time when my daughter suggested I try it, I thought why not? and I  can honestly say I'm not feeling deprived at all following this plan and am even enjoying Stevia as a natural sweetener. In fact, I will go as far as saying I love THM and have become somewhat of a devotee.
Here's a good video that gives a good introduction to what it's about.



Here's a link to the main website for anyone interested. They also have facebook pages which are very helpful to new people like me.
https://trimhealthymama.com/
and another great THM low glycemic sort of blog:
https://www.briana-thomas.com/
Here's what I've been eating...
B L U E B E R R Y  S M O O T H E E   with almond milk
Bacon and eggs and tomato/garlic/courgette
(I have this once or twice a week for breakfast
(normally without the additional smoothee)

Most mornings I eat pancakes, with fresh berries - these are from the THM cookbook with lite cottage cheese, oats, natural sweetner and egg whites. I love them :) For luch I normally have salads with some sort of protein and various different yummy dinners. I also have great snacks. If anyone else out there needs to lose some extra weight and is looking for something that really works, I hope you'll give this a try. THM was started by two lovely Christian mums who have a real heart to help people achieve their goals, whether that be to simply eat healthier, gain weight or lose it..and best of all 'maintain it'..yeh!! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Other things...

- I N   T H E  G A R D E N -

I've been harvesting and infusing St Johns Wort flowers which have no end of medicinal qualities.
I've made a tincture and also infused flowers in Olive Oil. I'll leave both of these infusions for about 6 weeks and then strain and bottle.

Here's a little info:
 St. John’s Wort is useful for reducing stress, anxiety and mild depression when used consistently overtime. It also has a reputation for being a 'Trauma Herb' ,beneficial to the skin and soul. Its blood red anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory medicine is wonderful for treating bruises, burns, sprains, reducing pain and infections.


Here's a good link to some helpful info about St Johns Wort : https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/st-johns-wort-oil-salve-for-tired-muscles/  I purchased this ladies book and enjoy it very much.
Please let me know if you also use St Johns Wort and what you make with it or use it for. :)

~ ~ ~ ~
Well that's about all from me. Blessings to anyone who stops by. I hope what I have shared tonight is helpful to someone in some way ~ Linda :)







6 comments:

  1. So glad you stopped by :) my encourager !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I enjoy much of the THM, but the sweetner is a bit tough on me! My body does not like it, but I like their baking mix! The book is a good read packed with information! Hope your weather has cooled off a bit!
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roxy :)
    so lovely to hear from you. Sorry to hear the sweetner is no good for you. My daughter and I make our own Super Sweet Blend out of Erythritol and stevia. To every 1 x cup of Erythritol, we add 1 teaspoon of stevia. That hasn't affected me negatively at all, so I'm thankful for that. It's so nice to know someone else I follow is interested in THM !!. Regards the weather, it's still as hot as ever..I call it very uncivilized :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've known about the THM plan for a few years. Unfortunately, I've never made myself follow it consistently even though I know it would be healthy. You inspire me. I want to start again, but I want to start again as I regain some strength after radiation. My body needs to heal in many ways.
    Thank you for praying for me and encouraging me.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura, lovely to hear from you :) Soon this difficult time will be behind you !!! and I know there is no-one more eager than you xo Regards THM, my daughter had mentioned a few times that it would be good for me, but I always thought it looked too complicated, and to be honest I almost gave up several times. Now I'm a few months into it, I'm so glad I've persevered and am fitting clothes I havn't worn in years (bonus), plus I'm getting fit again, have lots of energy and feel healthy. The greatest thing for me is I feel its something I will just always do, its a new lifestyle and way of living/eating I love. It works for me and I don't miss the old foods. But in saying that, we do have a takeaway every now and then etc...but then I am happily back on plan etc. I will keep praying for you Laura and am happy to post recipes/ideas/tips etc here. I've neglected this blog again of late..and keep trying to think of ways to blog more often..even a little thing each day...anyway I am rambling. Your comment brought such joy to me, just knowing you stopped by. Bless you xo

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...