Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Wednesday 28 June 2023

Strangers and Pilgrims

 


Hello dear friends and quiet followers,

I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up cozy here in our little cottage. Today I've been baking Gingerbread; actually I've baked this recipe about every two weeks lately, as it's just so scrumptious. I find it's best to leave it (wrapped) to sit for a day and the flavours develop even more and it is very moist. If you live in a warm climate I recommend keeping it in the fridge. Here's the recipe:

~ P U M P K I N  G I N G E R B R E A D ~

1 cup Pumpkin puree 

Half cup apple butter or applesauce

Half cup milk

2 eggs - beaten

70g butter - melted

1 teaspoon Ginger, 1 teaspoon mixed spice

1.5 teaspoons cinnamon, half teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 Cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons molasses

One and a half cups of flour + 1 - 2 Tablespoons extra if needed

1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all together and bake in a lined loaf pan for 50 - 60 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.


(I snagged this pic off the internet (Mississippi Sideboard)as I forgot to take one..., but it it looks just like this)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
..Now what I actually wanted to share was something that happened this week. 
I don't know about you, but I try to keep a very neat and tidy home, with varying degrees of success :)
I also appreciate all the little things we have in our home, such as antiques, various finds from the thrift store, handmade items etc. But just lately I have had several accidents with things. First off a handle broke on a vintage cup that I love. I was very sad about this, as it was a set, with a cup, saucer and plate that my husband gave me one year as an anniversary present. I was going to try to glue the handle on, but my husband thought that would make the cup unsafe, especially as it holds hot liquids !!...so I sadly threw it in the rubbish :(


...then just yesterday I was putting away some bleach and the top wasn't on properly and some spilled on my new apron that I handmade :( I've made three aprons out of one linen tablecloth that I purchased from kmart. The tablecloth cost about $12.00, but the PROJECT to get these aprons cut out and sewn has taken me almost a year ! I don't have a lot of spare time, so I just snatch time when I can. They are cross over aprons and I wear one every day to help keep my clothes clean. So I found it very disappointing when I've worked so hard on them that one is now stained by a bleach splodge.


...then just today I was getting ready to wash some dishes and accidentally wacked the top of my new food processor lid with a knife and its made a small shattered mark on the rim....oh my ! 
Maybe for some people all of this would be no big deal, but for me I try to look after all my things, as I know the labour involved to earn money to buy them and or the time it takes to make something by hand. So I was feeling a little flat about it all. 

At the same time as I was thinking about it, I felt the Lord changing my focus. So I went with it and it was like he was saying to my heart 'Why are you so downcast over these material things which are here today and gone tomorrow. They are only temporary and not eternal'. I knew this was the truth. They are just things. It was a good lesson and I'm thankful for the reminder. I need to not hold onto things too tightly.

I tend to be a home body and also by nature an introvert. I enjoy my own company and can happily stay busy here at home. I have to be careful though that my very home and it's contents doesn't become an 'idol' of sorts, as it truly is my escape from the world. I suppose in a way, my home is is an area where I feel I have some control. We can choose what comes into it, when so much that is happening in the world today, I have no control over. There's just so much that I don't agree with. 


So I am learning to not be too upset over small things, even if it did have a special meaning attached to it. All things wear out, break, and decay eventually. And one day this home here on earth, with all it's special little things will not be my world anymore.

 Matthew 6:19 - 20

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20“But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; 21for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

I will leave you with this precious old hymn, I hope you enjoy it as much as me. Blessings and peace to you all ~ Linda


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

This World Is Not My Home by A P Carter 1931


  1. This world is not my home I'm just passing through
    my treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
    the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

    O Lord you know I have no friend like you
    if Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
    the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

  2. They're all expecting me and that's one thing I know
    my savior pardoned me and now I onward go
    I know He'll take me through though I am weak and poor
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

    O Lord you know I have no friend like you
    if Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
    the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

  3. Just up in Glory Land we'll live eternally
    the Saints on every hand are shouting victory
    their song of sweetest praise drifts back from Heaven's shore
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

    O Lord you know I have no friend like you
    if Heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do?
    the angels beckon me from Heaven's open door
    and I can't feel at home in this world anymore

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

https://youtu.be/vJP5XGFbcUQ

If you copy this little link above it will take you to a delightful version of this song being sung. It blessed me, I hope it will do the same for you.




16 comments:

  1. "I tend to be a home body and also by nature an introvert"

    🩵

    ReplyDelete
  2. It ts so easy to make our little treasures important, and of course, they are. Bu, as you say, nothing lasts for ever, and we have so much waiting for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your thoughtful words Elizabeth. Blessings to you ~ Linda

      Delete
  3. Dear Linda, I love all things pumpkin. I too am a homebody and tend to be an introvert. I love the peace and the quiet that I can strive for in our humble little home. Coming home from being out and about is such an 'ahh' moment when we pull into our carport and even more so when we open our front door and step inside. Home Sweet Home. Simple Blessings, Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment Teri :) Blessings to you ~ Linda

      Delete
  4. What a lovely blog entry. I am visiting you for the first time. I got your blog name from Elefantz’s lovely blog. I will certainly try to keep up with your blog. I enjoyed your thoughts so very much. Carol in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Carol, welcome !! I'm so happy you stopped by and that you had a pleasant time here. Blessings to you ~ Linda

      Delete
  5. I read this the other day and loved it. I tried to comment but it got lost somehow because my internet was not working properly. I appreciate your inspiring posts! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mrs White for your kind words, they always encourage me to continue :)

      Delete
  6. It took me awhile to learn how to let go of THINGS. I have a sign in my dining room that everyone can look at and read. It says, " The Most Important Things In Life...Aren't Things".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that so much Christine, thanks for commenting and sharing this with us all :) ~ Blessings to you - Linda

      Delete
    2. Hello Linda, Somehow, I am just reading this. I truly needed it tonight. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Dear Laura, thank you for stopping by :) I'm so glad this writing is just what you needed 'tonight'. Hugs to you ~ Linda x

      Delete
  7. Dear Linda. I "found " you through GDonnas blog. I used yo be an extrovert but as I've aged I've definitely become an introvert. Like you I love being at home. 2 things crossed my.mind before reading further down your post. 1. If you break another special cup glue the handle back on and pop a wee plant in it. 2. Can you soak the bleach stained apron in more bleach and then the whole apron would be the same colour.
    I have delighted in reading your blog and will read more as time permits. Bless you. Karen NZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, thankyou for the ideas 😊. I decided to just live with the bleach splodge and wear the apron all the time. Thank you also for your very kind words about my blog
    I'snt Gdonna a treasure!! ❤️😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for your sweet comment 😊. I hope the gingerbread turns out lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...