Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Sunday 18 March 2018

A Thankful Heart

Hello friends,
I just wanted to share a few thoughts.

- This morning as I was kneeling on the floor taking washing out of my machine and putting in a second load, amazed that two people can still produce so much laundry, I offered up a silent prayer - "Thank you Lord for this washing machine". Then the thought, 'what about running water came into my mind', and I paused and said "Yes, and for running water, I am grateful". 
Later after cooking breakfast and returning to my room to have my quiet time with the Lord, those thoughts of water and gratitude returned to me. I offered up prayer for those in our world who may not have water close at hand let alone a washing machine. But even more urgent, that they would know the Lord, the Living Water, who would be their peace, joy and strength through life.


J. R Miller wrote:

Christian thanks giving is the life of Christ in the heart -
transforming the disposition and the whole character. Thanksgiving
must be wrought into the life as a habit  - before it can become a fixed
and permanent quality. An occasional burst of praise, in the midst
of years of complaining, is not what is required. Songs on rare
sunshiny days; and no songs when skies are cloudy - will not make a
life of gratitude. The heart must learn to sing always ...
Thanksgiving has attained it's rightful place in us, only when it is
part of all our days and dominates all our experiences.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Dear Lord, may a grateful heart lead me closer to your heart .
May I cherish every simple thing as a gift,
and every challenge an opportunity to grow.
I pray.


4 comments:

  1. Hello, I loved your thought process of giving thanks while doing your daily chores. We truly are blessed in so may ways. I enjoy JR Miller myself he was amazing with his words to encourage and to teach in such a kind way!
    Hope you are well!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roxy, yes I am well, thank you. So lovely you stopped by and left a sweet comment. Regards J. R Miller, I haven't read any of his books, but came upon that quote in another book I was reading that morning and it fit perfectly with what was on my heart. Upon researching him, I see he has written many books. Do you have any you recommend? Blessings Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my yes! We've had to do without a washer, and we've had to do without drains because they were stopped up for a month. NOT FUN!
    Be blessed!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, this past week my oven died :( It was around 23 years old..and very much on its last legs. We were without one for almost a week, and I missed it so much !!! Thankfully now I have a brand new one...and can't stop looking at it's shiny-ness. God is so good. We are blessed. Thanks for stopping by Laura. Blessings to you :)

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...