Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Wednesday 16 October 2019

October

Hi everyone :)
Sorry I've been gone so long. I thought I would show in pictures all I've been busy with. Life is good, apart from a little Spring fever (literally). Yes I've been under the weather, so I finally tucked myself up in bed today in order to try and finally kick this thing !...plus gobbling down a whole lot of Vitamin C. We are having a mix of weather..some sunny days..and also still cold winds occasionally and rain. I am not complaining about the rain, as every summer lately we have ended up with a drought, so it can rain all it likes for now :)
It's a joy to look out my kitchen windows and see blossom on the Greengage Plum tree and Apple Blossom out back - ever so pretty.
Whats blooming:



What I've been baking: none of it was THM (yikes)


Chocolate Meringue Pie (Hubby Fathers Day treat)


Apple Crumb Top Pie
(I was invited to join in on a collaboration on YouTube :)
and Butterscotch Meringue Pie - to take to friends for dinner.


~ Raspberry Slice ~
(the easiest slice in the world)

Ingredients:
2 sheets of  sweet shortcrust pastry
Good quality Raspberry Jam

Icing:
Icing Sugar - 1.5 cups
Butter - 2 Tablespoons
Vanilla - 1 teaspoon
 Pink Food Colouring - a few drops (otherwise it will be flourescent like mine)
Raspberry Flavour - about 1 teaspoon

Method:
1. Line a square tin with baking paper (parchment).
2. Turn the oven onto 180 C 
3. Lay one sheet of pastry over the base of the tin - prick with a fork.
4. Spread with jam (as much as you want) - within reason
5. Prick the second layer of pastry and lay carefully over the jam.
6. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes or until the pastry
is cooked, but not too browned.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. I cool it in the tin. Ice the slice :) and enjoy


Been baking sourdough bread as per usual - loaves and English muffins,
 at home and with the grandies :)

Kora buttering her sourdough bread stick - snakes she likes to make.
Poppy ate most of her dough :)
Kora's snakes - thickly spread with peanut butter and butter :)

~ Sourdough Pizza ~
Current 'Me' in my favourite home dress :) I got this dress and cardigan for about $2.00
each at the thrift store - and I'm very happy about that.

~Out and About ~

I live in a very very small town - population around 1800 people.
We went to an even smaller town 'Ongaonga'- about 8 minutes from where I live - population  about 50, but probably more in the surrounding farm areas :)
They held a Historic Village Fair and Market day - the 1st and it was a roaring success. 
Many of the locals dressed in historical costumes and all the free events
for children had an old world theme to them. It was such a joy to attend this. I think
around 4,000 people attended :) 
There were two lemonade stands, one was run by children - plastic cups (takeaway)
and the other one was run by some elderly ladies in costume with home made lemonade (in actual glasses) and homemade Ginger biscuits it was delicious :) 
Here are some photo's of the day.









Spiritual life: Soul Food
We watched a lovely movie on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFIt87fu6w This is the title onYouTube: The Courageous Mr Penn ~ True Story! ~ Very Rare Film (1942) It's the story of how William Penn founded Pliladelphia and Pennsylvania is named after him. I know Americans will know this. He was a Quaker. We enjoyed it.


During my quiet time I am reading through the bible again. I am currently in Genesis and read today the account of Hagar when she had to leave Abraham's household. It's strange that I can read a section of scripture often, but one day something pops out that I didn't see before. I had always thought God acted because of Hagar's sorrow, but it was the crying of her son that got God's attention. I found this  reading very encouraging. No matter how alone one may feel with a struggle, a hurt or a dissapointment, God hears all cries. He alone sees the sorrow and He is our great comforter. If we but cleave to Him, He will make a way out of the despondency. I have witnessed this in my own life, and I know it's true. 

And finally..just because I am a soapmaker after all :)
I wanted to share a picture of this bar of soap. I made a batch of Castile soap (only Olive Oil)
 about 1.5 years ago. This is the final bar. The lather is divine. I use this in my kitchen for my hands, but it could also be used for dishes. I also used other bars of it to wash my face as it's so
beautiful and gentle. I live the pure simplicity of it. Castile soap ages beautifully.
And..my little vintage soap dish holder is so sweet too.


 This is the view out my kitchen window :)

Bye for now sweet friends. I pray God's blessings over you all.
Enjoy whatever season your in :)
Linda xoxo
Please leave me a sweet comment, it brings me so much joy 
when you hang out with me here !

~







8 comments:

  1. As we in England enter Autumn, it is a treat to see your lovely photos of Spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate all the seasons :) especially Spring and Autumn. My allergies don't enjoy Spring as much..big sigh... although the new flowers are a wonderful blessing still. Thank you for your sweet comment Elizabeth :) ~ Blessings to you.

      Delete
  2. Your grandchildren are beautiful! As well as the colorful dresses of the little girls at the festival. I enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lucinda :), yes they are. I'm so excited about your upcoming wedding. What a big change God has brought to your life !!! Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda from Texas! Whippoorwill Hollar tagged you in the pie collaboration and I discovered you!
    I love scones and sour dough bread. I have been trying to master the bread but have not had great success yet! I am retiring very soon and will have more time .
    I am an Christian since 1983 and love the Lord and His teaching. I believe we r here to let His light shine through us so others will see and believe.
    God Bless you and your family. Kathryn Sword, Spring, Texas (a suburb of Houston, Tx)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn,
      Thank you so much for visiting my blog :) and leaving such a sweet comment. Yes your right, we are here to let His light shine, bless you :) I think it was 1988, when I first became a christian. The sourdough takes a bit of practice. I find that the more the starter is used, the better it gets. Even if it's not used all the time, just get it out, feed it, let it get bubbly. Next day, discard some, feed etc..for a few days, until it's more active. It seems to work very fast with rising bread in the summer, and will take a lot longer in the winter. One teaspoon of sugar added to the dough will help to get it going too. Long slow rising is always best. I normally let the dough ferment overnight. :) Hope this helps. God Bless you :) ~ Linda

      Delete
  5. Hi Linda, I must have been out of town when you wrote this. What a delightful entry! I am soooo going to try the Raspberry Slice Dessert! Everything you make looks scrumptious! Your grandchildren are so cute, they look like little Norman Rockwell paintings!

    What a whimsical place you live, love the fair, things like that are so neat I think.

    Hope you are better now, I too am fighting an awful cold, it goes and comes. So aggravating.

    I agree, the Bible comes alive in different parts speaking different messages at different times doesn't it? I've noticed the same thing.

    Take care now, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Amelia, it's always such a joy to hear from you. Please do try the slice, it is so delicious and easy. Blessings to you xox ~ Linda

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...