Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Wednesday 16 March 2022

Light a Candle

 



Hello dear friends and quiet followers, Welcome to the Little Homestead.  First up I just wanted to say what a blessing it is to have a home; I know many of you out there will be saying 'Amen'. I know how you love your homes and that you strive to create a place of calm; a welcoming refuge for your children and husband as they return at the close of the day.


A home is a place that almost wraps its arms around us during hard times. I know when I am unwell I can retreat to my clean and cosy bedroom and I'm always so thankful for its comfort and warmth - it feels like a little sanctuary. 
If we have a disappointment in life or someone has hurt us, to be able to go home and be surrounded by our family and sit by the fire while they listen to our woes is a great comfort. 


To come through that door and smell food cooking, or just that familiar smell that is your home, is comforting. You can be yourself, put your feet up; you can relax.

...I've tried to lay a little ground work, build up a feeling..an atmosphere of what a blessing, that physical dwelling and its furnishings are and equally what a blessing those people that live within those walls are - your family.

So imagine if all that is suddenly taken away from you; or you had to abandon your home? That's what's happening to millions of people right now. Many of them no doubt our brothers and sisters in the Lord. I am of course talking about what's happening in Ukraine right now. The images on the news are so terribly sad. For me what really hits me is seeing elderly people and also young mum's with children looking frightened, cold and walking along carrying a single backpack or suitcase. It's seeing fathers having to farewell their families as they stay to defend their country - families broken apart. People headed into the unknown and for how long. Will they get to return and if so will their home still be there?

This scripture came to mind: You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.(Matthew 5:14-16). 

I see people in Poland and other villages taking in refugees. I hear of organisations collecting clothing, bedding, food, pushchairs to help the refugees. I see Go Fund Me sort of pages set up to help individuals to escape from Ukraine. I've received emails asking me to pray into specific situations for the leader of Ukraine and for the people. What motivates people to want to help others? It is LOVE. It is compassion. It's merciful hearts. I see all these efforts as people shining their light; shining the gospel light. I know not everyone would be a Christian that's helping but the impulse of the heart to help another, comes from a place of love. That spark of God in all people, that part of them that's created in the image of God even if they don't realise it, is shining the light, showing the heart of God. If all people acted in this way, putting others ahead of themselves this situation wouldn't even exist. 

I just wanted to encourage you to shine your light today in any way you can- let that spark of the divine be evident to all around you. Bring God glory this day and all days. 

Blessings to you all ~ Linda

*All pictures sourced from the internet/pintrest.



2 comments:

  1. I love this verse in Matthew , I have stumbled across you blog and I wanted to say what a blessing it is the lord gave me this ray of sunshine in a time of my own struggles . 💝💝🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your so much for your kind comment. It blesses my heart. I pray the Lord will help you through your struggles, and as you have your hand in His, I know He will. Be blessed ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...