Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Sunday 28 November 2010

Gemma's sticky Gingerbread



One night just before falling asleep, I had such a strong desire for gingerbreand !!!to the point that I had to get out of bed and hunt out an old recipe. I havn't made this for years...but remembered it was lovely and light, moist and a little sticky. The day before I baked it, I had spent an afternoon visiting some friends, and my young friend 'Gemma' (5yrs) was busying herself in her sandpit, making me all sorts of creations..such as chicken, banana and chocloate cupcakes lol..her desciption (really sand of course with a flower on top). I dutifully pretended to eat them all..but the joy she had in her creations and mixing sand and water made me smile and reminded me of my own fun making mud pies as a child..(the beginnings of my foodyism I think). When I was mixing this large bowl of gingerbread batter..in all its gloopiness, I decided to rename it Gemmas gingerbread.. : 0)
I like to serve it buttered. It could have a simple glace icing I suppose, but simple and rustic suits me.
* ENJOY *

(Makes 2 cakes 250g butter - melted
1 Cup golden syrup (or 1/2 treacle/1/2 golden surup) - darker cake

1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 rounded Tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Cup rolled oats
4 Cups flour ( I used 2 Cups wholemeal/2 plain)
4 eggs - large
2 Cups of warm milk


Method

1. Line 2 pans with baking paper.

2. In a large bowl sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the oats and mix through.

3. Warm the syrup. Pour milk,syrup, butter and eggs into the dry ingredients.
4. Mix all with a strong whisk, until well combined.

5. The consistency should be like pancake batter. Pour into the prepared pans.
6. Bake at 170 Celcius for 25 minutes (in middle shelf), or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool on racks. I think this gingerbread is better the next day. I wrap it in cling film, keep the baking paper on it and stor in an airtight container.



3 comments:

  1. and it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I love gingerbread. Can you tell me what exactly is in mixed spice? Thank you and I am loving your posts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thanks for your sweet comment. Wow it is an old post (10 years !!! ago). To answer your question: Mixed Spice in New Zealand is a pre packed spice containing the following: coriander, cinnamon, pimento, ginger, cassia, nutmeg and cloves. We just buy it in a wee box. You could probably substitute with a 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon cloves, or just a pinch and 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Maybe 'pie spice' if you live in America would work too. :) Blessings to you

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...