Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Thursday 6 January 2011

Home Ground & Home Made Bread

I unpacked my old grain grinder the other day. Its been stored away in my shed for years. I used to grind wheat for a while when my children were small, as the enzymes were supposed to be still acitve in the flour and make the flour more nutritious. It's also a good arm workout :0) Although in hindsite I wish I hadn't been impatient & waited to get an electric one, which cost more. For now I don't mind hand cranking it..its a bit of a novelty.


So the other day, hubby and I ground some and made this bread. I store the flour in the fridge to keep it fresh longer. Here's a recipe for 2 easy fabulous loaves of bread... similar in texture to Vogles. If you havn't tried Vogels by the way, then you havn't lived..(its true)..especially toasted and then spread with crunchy peanut butter...mmmm - YUM

Easy/Fast - Busy Peoples Bread (Annabel Langbein) by Linda's Kitchen

Ingredients:
2 Cups boiling water
4 teaspoons honey
2 Cups cold water
5 teaspoons dry yeast granules
2 3/4 Cups high grade white flour
2 3/4 cups wholemeal flour - I used stoneground (a mix of Spelt & regular wheat)
3 teaspoons salt
2 cups Sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons linseeds
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
4 Tablespoons Pumpkin seeds

Method:
In a large mixing bowl place the honey and add the boiling water. Stir to dissolve. Add the cold water. Stir, sprinkle the yeast over twhen the temp of the water is warm (not lukewarm) and leave to froth - about 10 minutes. I cover it with gladwrap and a wrap the bowl in a handtowel.

Then add flour, salt, sunflower seeds, linseed and the sesame seeds.
The mixture will be a loose wet batter.
Divide the mixture between 2 prepared (I spray with non-stick baking spray) loaf/bread tins. Sprinkle the loaves with the pumpkin seeds and slash 4 cuts in the top of the batter of each loaf, sothe loaves will rise evenly, without splitting.

Bake for 20 minutes at 80 degrees celcius, then crank the oven up to 210 degrees celcius and bake for a further 30-40 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack. The bread is cooked when the base is tapped and it sounds hollow.


This bread stays fresh about 3-4 days and is lovely toasted. :0) enjoy
 
I also took this pic of some of my garden veges,

 its just soo exciting to go out to the garden, select whatever is fresh and ready and make a pie out of it. I made a lovely quiche and added some bacon :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...