Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Wednesday 17 July 2019

Daily Bread


Hi everyone,
Bread :) Isn't it just wonderful !!
I just wanted to pop on quickly and share a recipe that I'm quite happy with.  I recently started using my breadmaker again, to make a small loaf of bread for my husband. I make English sourdough muffins for myself to eat for lunch and occasionally he has those too, but so I'm not constantly standing over a hot griddle I started making him a small breadmaker loaf.
One of the problems I've had with breadmaker bread in the past is that it doesn't stay fresh very long. A loaf will last my husband about 4 days. Usually by the end of 2 days (maximum) the bread would be getting dry. So I started researching and experimenting to improve the situation. I thought I would go ahead and share this even though many people may have already perfected it for themselves, but you never know someone may stop by and just have a hallelujah moment after reading this :) and give easy homemade bread another chance.


My bread maker is this model below, and the shape of the tin is like the picture above.


Anyway here is my recipe for this standard size breadmaker.

Softy Breadmaker Loaf

1 &1/2 Cups Warm milk
(I put the cold fridge milk in a pyrex jug on high for 1 minute, then dissolve the
salt and brown sugar into this)
1 Dessertspoon - Honey or Brown sugar
( Honey is a humectant and draws moisture to itself.)
3 teaspoons Gluten flour
2 Cups white high grade bread flour -unbleached is best
1 1/2 cups whole grain flour - freshly ground is best
(of course you could use all wholegrain, the loaf will just be denser)
1 Dessertspoon oats
1 t salt  - fine pink himalayan
3 teaspoons breadmaker yeast (surebake in NZ)
1 teaspoon whole psyllium husks
2 T light olive oil

Method:
1. Place all ingredients into the loaf tin. Place into the machine.
2. Set the control to the first setting - Basic (this is the quickest cycle).
3. Set the crust level to 'Light'. Previously I had always selected medium. Press start !

~
After it's been whizzing and whirring for a few minutes I normally get in there with a spatula just to make sure everything is thoroughly combined. Then once it is I step away from the machine :) lol

After the loaf has cooled on a rack I store it in a airtight ziplock plastic bag (well as much as I can get it) and then into a cloth bag. I hope someone will try this and discover how great it is. After about 3 or 4 days I make him a toasted sandwich for lunch and he thinks that's just wonderful :)


Blessings to you all ~ Linda






2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I am ashamed to say I have never made my own bread.
    You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo, Thank you for leaving a comment :) Oh do try breadmaking, it puts the most delicious aroma right through the house and breadmaker bread is the easiest, you don't even have to knead it !! It's so nice to know I have inspired someone :)

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...