Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Sunday 15 December 2019

December


Hi everyone :) Sorry I didn't get to post anything for November.  Just over two weeks back my Dad who is 79 years had a heart attack. He had been unwell for a while with very little energy, but even so it was a shock to us. He has now had surgery and is home  recovering. During that time, my mum also had to have cataract surgery, so it's been a busy time and emotionally exhausting. There was little time to think, let alone string words together and write a blog...even though I was still writing in my journal during that time. I find journaling really helps me with stress and keeping track of day to day events and big things too.

So having said all that, my heart truly goes out to anyone else who has a family member that's in hospital or has an ongoing illness. It's a whole new level of exhaustion, emotional, mental and physical which I haven't really had to cope with before. I even find myself at times if I'm out in the garden or something, thinking to myself...I wonder if they're alright and if I need to phone again :(

On top of that I've had my own ongoing health things..Oh my!  life can get difficult at times. I have said it many times and will say it again: I don't know where I would be without the avenue of prayer !


But now we are in December, it is one of my favourite months of the year..and even when exhaustion was stalking me I did not want to go through it feeling stressed or be exhausted at the end of it.


I've made a list of the minimum vital things I need to accomplish. Most of the family will come here this year for Christmas dinner and as so many of you ladies know there is a lot to do to get one's property ready :) Today saw my husband and I out on the front verandah with the hose and brooms, scrubbing the house, sweeping leaves and cobwebs etc and freshening up potted plants. It does look so much better now.


We were able to get a small Christmas tree for free as they were giving them away outside a hall in one of the small towns in my area. We decorated it together today and it's so festive and lovely.


I've made my Christmas cake, and am yet to ice it, but that can wait. I've been making a Christmas cake every year since we were married, so it is very much part of our tradition in this home.


We had a lovely Christmas nativity play at church today too. Our pastor and his wife are moving to a new parish after 10 years, so it will be sad to see them go. It's been a real year of changes for us. 


On top of all this my sweet daughter Katie and her family have moved 45 minutes away from us now and while I'm happy for them that they are settled and have a home, we will miss them greatly, as before they were only about 7 minutes down the road. I still get to go and help out two days a week, and am brushing up on driving truly country roads, but part of the road isn't even sealed. I call the wee cottage the little house on the prairie, since that's what it looks like to me. It's only for a season until they buy their own home and Katie is happy, and that's all that matters to me.


Well dear friends I think I will leave it at that for now. There are presents to be wrapped and more Christmas baking to continue with. I look forward to reading your writings too and
seeing how everyone else is preparing for Christmas. 

So from my little homestead -
 'Merry Christmas', God bless and Happy New Year too. xoxo


 ~







6 comments:

  1. Oh dear, a heart attack. Thanking God your Dad is recovering. My precious stepdaddy left our family suddenly in '91 and it devestated me. So thankful your dad is okay and recovering.

    My mom is almost 90 so I understand the ups and downs. And like you mentioned, dealing with our own stuff too.

    I think your last quote sums it up. "I want a Christmas that whispers Jesus." Amen

    Love the photos and nativity illustration...Beautiful

    Praying for you and your family, a hug. ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet, your words mean a lot to me Amelia. I think sometimes as we age and have health things ourselves it's very easy to get overwhelmed and very drained physically.We love our family and parents but are only able to do so much. That's when pressing into God for strength is the only supernatural peace we have in the storm. Thank you for your prayers - a hug to you too. Merry Christmas

      Delete
  2. It is so hard when loved ones are very ill, a new levl of stress completely. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you and thank you for understanding and for your prayers Elizabeth :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda, Hope your New Years is blessed! I appreciate your integrity and thoughtfulness so much.

    I hope all is well, I thought of you, we had to call for an ambulance for my mother Christmas night. Thank God she is okay now, but I feel so un-nerved.

    Hope all is well on your side! : )

    Love, Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Amelia, but upsetting to know you had that kind of upset on Christmas day :( Praise the Lord your mum is okay. My mum is having hip surgery this month, so I know how you feel with concerns for our parents. Yet another reason to spend more time in prayer !!. I hope to write another blog post soon, we just have family staying at the moment and it's been so busy. Happy New year sweet friend !!

      Delete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...