Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Thursday 23 January 2020

A Love Song

Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands

Psalm 96: 11 - 12
Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound and all that is in it. Let the fields be jubilant and all that is in them; let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.


What a joy it is to have a garden. Whenever I'm out there, I feel calmer, more peaceful in my spirit and close to the Lord. I've probably said these words countless times over the years on this blog, but it is so true for me. I also feel this way when I am by the sea, walking along a beach. The beauty and vastness of it all amazes me. The hand of our loving father is so visible.

~ by Abbott Fuller Graves ~

When I was in the garden today, gathering in the bounty from the plum tree, I thought of that plum tree offering up it's gifts so freely, doing so splendidly what it's designed to do and it felt like the garden was singing me a love song. Then I thought about the hand that was behind all this, the hand of God...who causes the sun to shine, who sends the rain and the wind. His plan and perfect design.  I picked some courgettes and then some beans and meditated some more.


I wandered down the back of the property and just smiled so wide to see the fig tree full of green figs which will ripen to a beautiful deep purple. I spent time watering and tying up tomatoes. I weeded and laid the weeds scrunched up as mulch around the base of plants. I walked past the apricot tree and said hello friend. Don't laugh at me, I am so grateful to that marvelous tree and all its wonderful gifts it gave us this year. An apricot is such a nutritious fruit.

~ Eastman Johnson ~

I'm thankful the Lord laid it on my heart to plant this food forest all those years ago; to care for this land and to make the most of what we have. His tender heart, provision and love all speak to me so clearly while walking in my garden. He tells me He will always provide and everything I need is right at hand. I believe Him and trust Him. When I am in the garden cares wash away and for a time life seems very easy.
I took my sandals off and walked around in bare feet. It was wonderful..childlike..and free. As I was down there thinking all these thoughts, smiling to myself in the quietness of the garden...I felt like I had a little glimpse of heaven.


~The Spiders Web - Jessie Wilcox Smith ~

Thank you Lord for a a beautiful day,  a sunny day...some Vitamin D, and time with thee :)

If you have a garden, take time to walk in it.

Blessings to anyone who stops by ~ Linda xox



8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way when I'm outside here...I just love it, so close to God I feel...

    Bless you Linda, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, I wasn't sure this post had gone through as we've been having internet issues; but obviously it did :) Praise the Lord. I know you feel close to God when you are in your Forest Cathedral" - that inspires me too. It's such a blessings to have so many friends/sisters in the Lord with such a heart for God and love of His creation.
      Be blessed sweet fiend xo ~ Linda

      Delete
  2. I love this post Linda! It speaks to my soul.

    My garden is my retreat, although it is not the prettiest one because it is so dry. I am thankful for the opportunity to be able to grow some of our food. Organic produce is pretty scarce where I live.

    Your post reminded me of the beautiful song "I come to the garden alone" and the words are similar to what you are describing.

    I come to the garden alone
    While the dew is still on the roses
    And the voice I hear falling on my ear
    The Son of God discloses.

    Refrain:
    And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
    And He tells me I am His own;
    And the joy we share as we tarry there,
    None other has ever known.

    Refrain.

    He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
    Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
    And the melody that He gave to me
    Within my heart is ringing.

    Refrain.

    I’d stay in the garden with Him
    Though the night around me be falling,
    But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
    His voice to me is calling.

    Refrain.

    Wishing you a blessed weekend.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tania, I love that old hymn and used to sing it many years ago. The words are so anointed. For so many of us ladies and probably men too, the garden is a haven. Life began for mankind in a garden, so I think we have a little life 'key' right there. Yes it's a wonderful blessing to get to grow our own organic food !!
      Have a blessed day ~ Linda xo

      Delete
  3. A beautiful post.

    I am now following your peaceful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandi for your kind words and wanting to be friends here :) Blessings to you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. thankful for you sharing your garden and your heart.
    always 💜

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...