Two wings lift a person up from earthy concerns: simplicity and purity. Simplicity should be in intention, purity in feelings. Simplicity reaches out after God, purity catches hold and tastes. ~ Thomas A’Kempis

Thursday 24 November 2022

Captured

 


Hello dear friends and quiet followers,
It's a new week and I have more to say..so here I go again...
Yes I had another revelation of sorts. Over the last couple of years I have felt the Lord speaking to my heart; encouraging me to let go of things...my busy life...to slow down...to re-focus...re-prioritize.
It's taken a lot of work, internal and external. I've asked myself these questions, why would God want me to slow down? Why would God want any of us to slow down?


The 'slower' our days are, the more peaceful we are. We're not rushed, not overly stressed and can think more clearly. We need a calm mind to be able to hear from the Lord well. We need inner peace to focus on the Lord; to go through our day speaking to Him and more importantly listening to Him. In our roles as Mothers, Wives, Sisters and Friends, the closer we are to the Lord, the more we have to impart to others, to help them in their daily lives. 
We live in a media driven world, our phones are never far away. and many of us have multiple social media accounts. But why do we feel we need this level of interaction with the world? Once people only received news via a newspaper, or through a letter from a family member or friend and that was all. 

We wouldn't necessarily know about everything going on in the world. We didn't normally hear about every catastrophe, every war, every misfortune, every scandal. We didn't, and we don't need to. I believe it overtaxes our nervous system. Well I can only speak for myself and it does do this to me. Many many years back I felt the Lord say to get rid of the television in our home. I called it the 'uninvited guest', bringing all it's horrors and ungodliness into the home (even adverts). So we did. But I think we just replaced it with the computer.  Still there is more control this way and we are very particular about what we watch.


Still, for me, I want my life to be closer to the Lord. I want Him to have my whole heart. I want to hear from Him and encourage others to do the same. Slowing down has helped greatly with this,
Our world today is filled with doom and gloom. People are running around like 'Chicken Lickin' thinking the sky is falling down. And while we are living in uncertain times; this is nothing new. People have lived through a lot worse than what we are currently experiencing. So what do we do?


Personally I have always strived to keep a large pantry. This serves us well, because if we need to save for something unexpected (like roof repairs), then I can just cut back on my grocery expenditure so we can save some of the food money, and instead of purchasing more groceries we just eat from the pantry and freezers. I didn't go and get a big grocery shop for a month just recently and we managed just fine. I just purchased fruit and milk. We also, as you know have a large vegetable garden and many fruit trees. This all helps. I believe in that old adage: 'God helps those, who help themselves'. He expects us to do our part. Although !!! having said this, I  know a lot of people are just living week to week and find it very hard, if not nearly impossible to buy anything extra. So I'm talking just a bag of pinto beans, an extra can of green beans, a bag of rice etc...just as you can...in a simple way. We don't need to be obsessed by the current situation; just make a little plan and work away at it.  Ultimately God is our provider and our trust is in Him.


When I read my bible, I see that hard times are just part of life. God doesn't promise us an easy life, He just assures us that He will never leave us. This scripture spoke to me this week: 

Habakkuk 3: 17 -18

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

This verse reminds me that no matter what is happening in the world, or in my own life, whether it be good times or bad, I am to trust in the Lord, and let Him give me peace and be my anchor. If we have spent our life 'having oil in our lamp', being prepared for the Lord, giving Him our all, and our whole heart then we will be prepared for whatever comes in life. We don't need to go into a panic. Yes we should be informed and not bury our head in the sand, but if we take time for the Lord and let Him lead us, He will speak to you and help us in our time of need.


I believe one of the reasons the Lord has called me 'away' from the world, is for this very reason; so I can write, so I can encourage others to spend their lives focused on the Lord, developing a deep relationship with Him, so they will be prepared internally and externally for whatever may be coming next. Yet, we do not fear - we just trust and let Him lead.


This is what he laid on my heart just yesterday morning. I will close with it and pray you all are encouraged by it. Have a blessed week ~ Linda

God gives the power and the strength
that is needed for each new day.

If we are wise we will walk in
that strength and not in our own.

If we are wise and attentive to the Holy Spirit
we will let Him lead us, we will listen
for His voice and gentle guidance.

If we are wise, we will tread lightly on this earth,
and hold onto what we own loosely,
as this world is not our eternal home,
and we take nothing with us when we leave,
but the spiritual acts of love we showed to others.

That in deed will go before us, and will be
stored up as treasures in heaven.

O that we would walk hand in hand 
with Him each day.

Lord set our eyes and hearts on
what is eternal and pleasing to you.
Amen

~~

 









12 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a blessing that you say that Sandi...for after I write something, I will often doubt myself. I know I need to stop this. If the Lord lays something on my heart, then I just need to pass it on and take my hands off. Many blessings to you and thank you for the encouragement ~ Linda

      Delete
  2. Dear Teri, I did go and visit your Simple Days blog after you commented on one of my other writings :) I didn't comment, probably as it was late, also I noted you were just posting a few lines. Now I will definitely go and have a look at your lengthier posts. Thank you for such a sweet comment too and of course you may copy that writing out. I too have gone through seasons where I discontinued writing for a time. I know the Lord will guide you to what is best :) Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda!
    Once again, God used you to write something that is SO true, especially these days when everybody wants everything yesterday.
    I, too, have been feeling overwhelmed sometimes and I even thought of stop writing my blog, like Teri wrote above.
    Sometimes I'm so anxious to see if someone commented or to read other people's posts, that I forget to take care of what is most important in my role as a homemaker: take care of our home.
    God was telling me this and that I couldn't continue to do that and I started to take care of the things that I had left behind and in just a few days our house is clean, the windows are shinning and my husband is happier! And so am I!
    Have a blessed week!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that this was a blessing to you Paula. Yes I too can get easily overwhelmed, especially as I get older. I personally don't worry or really even think about the comments. I had another blog years ago and I don't know that anyone ever commented - ha ! I just liked recording my days and sharing how the Lord inspired me. I feel so happy and peaceful when my home is in order too. You chose well !! :) Blessings - Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God always shows us wich is the best part! :)
      Have a blessed weekend, Linda!

      Delete
  5. Hi again Teri, I spent sometime this morning reading through some of your older blog posts and I enjoyed myself. Your faith and desire for a simple life shines through. Yes we do both live similar lives :) Although I am still 'working', as I help my daughter a couple of days a week with her 5 children, so I am not retired yet. You certainly sound like you are enjoying your retirement and trips away in your RV. I couldn't see anywhere to comment on the blog posts, so that's why I am letting you know I enjoyed visiting at your blog and getting to know you a little more. I especially enjoyed a little quote you had on one of the blogs from Herbert Hoover, about returning to a simpler way of living. Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hu dear Laura, I'm so thankful this encouraged you. This season sure is a busy one !! I know you have been very busy with your daughters wedding and also with your teaching job, my heart goes out to you. I pray you will pace yourself and get some rest as you can. Blessings to you sweet friend ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen Linda !! ❤️ I believe God has put it in your heart to write these blogs, as people are able to see his heart through yours. Matthew 11 28-30

    ReplyDelete

Strangers and Pilgrims

  Hello dear friends and quiet followers, I hope your week is going well? It's Winter here in my corner of the world, so I am tucked up ...